The Boy Who Dreamed in the Classroom
I did not
like school much till the sixth standard.
When I look
back at my early school days now, I sometimes wonder how little I understood
about the importance of education. From Standard 1 to Standard 5, I was just an
ordinary boy—neither particularly brilliant nor particularly poor in studies. I
was one among twenty or thirty students sitting on wooden benches, listening to
the teacher, or at least pretending to listen.
The teacher
would stand in front of the class and continue with the lesson. But my mind
would often be somewhere else.
I would sit
quietly for some time, look at the blackboard, listen to a few sentences, and
then slowly drift away into my own world. I had a very active imagination, and
once I entered that world, it was difficult for the teacher's voice to bring me
back.
I don't
remember any teacher in those early years giving us a motivating lecture about
why we should study, what education could do for us, or what kind of future we
could build through learning. Perhaps such things were not considered necessary
in those days. A teacher's responsibility, as we understood it, was simply to
teach the prescribed lesson, and a student's responsibility was to sit quietly
and reproduce it in the examination.
So the
teacher would go on teaching his lesson, and I would go on wandering in my
imagination.
And where
did my imagination take me?
Almost
always to our family garden.
It was not
an ordinary garden. It spread over more than five acres of land and was one of
the most fascinating places in my childhood world. For me, it was not merely a
piece of agricultural land. It was a universe of its own—a place where I felt
free, curious and completely at home.
The garden
had a long family history attached to it. It had been founded by my real
grandfather's cousin, a very strict, disciplined and principled man. Because my
real grandfather had passed away at a very young age, this gentleman took upon
himself the responsibility of bringing up my father, my uncle—whom we lovingly
called Chachaji—and my cousin Tauji.
He was a man
of strong principles. His personality must have left a deep impression on the
family, although as a child I understood little of the history and sacrifices
behind it. What I knew was simply that our family had this vast garden, and
that it was a place full of life.
Perhaps that
is why, whenever I became bored in the classroom, my mind naturally travelled
there.
I could
imagine the trees, the open space, the familiar surroundings and the activities
associated with the garden. The classroom had four walls; my imagination had no
walls at all.
For my lack
of attention in class, I must have received physical punishment many times. But
physical punishment was a very common practice in schools in those days. Nobody
made much of it. Parents generally accepted it as a normal part of education,
and children simply learned to live with it.
Today, when
I think about it, I realise that fear can make a child obedient for a moment,
but it does not necessarily make him interested in learning.
My primary
school days, therefore, were mostly days of fun, distraction and imagination. I
must have done some schoolwork here and there. I must have learned my lessons
well enough to move from one class to another. But studying was certainly not
my passion.
My real
interest was singing.
And,
fortunately, somebody noticed it.
There was a
young and affectionate teacher in our school who had a different way of looking
at children. One day, he announced in our class:
"Who
wants to participate in singing?"
I
immediately raised my hand.
I don't
remember thinking much about it. I simply liked singing, and the opportunity
sounded exciting. The teacher asked me to sing something. I sang for him, and
apparently, he liked what he heard.
That small
moment became an important turning point in my childhood.
The teacher
selected a small group of singers from Standards Four and Five. He began
training us for a Qawwali—a form of chorus singing in which different voices
come together in rhythm and harmony.
For a boy
who was usually lost in his own thoughts during lessons, this was something
completely different. Here, I had a reason to pay attention. I had something to
practise. Someone believed that I could do it.
The teacher
patiently taught us the Qawwali and prepared us for a competition. This was in
the 1960s, when opportunities of this kind were not as common as they are
today. Eventually, he took our little group to a state-level competition.
And
something wonderful happened.
We won a
prize.
For the
first time, perhaps, I experienced the feeling that I could be good at
something.
I may not
have been the boy who always sat at the top of the class. I may not have been
the most attentive student. But when I sang, I felt confident. Someone had
discovered something in me that I myself had not fully recognised.
Looking
back, I think that teacher did something much more important than merely
teaching us a song. He gave us an opportunity to discover ourselves.
He showed
me, perhaps without ever saying so explicitly, that every child has some
ability waiting to be recognised.
But if
singing gave me confidence, mathematics gave me fear.
I was
particularly afraid of our Maths teacher.
He was known
for using a stick on students who could not do well. In those days, the sight
of a teacher holding a stick was enough to make an entire classroom silent.
I still
remember one particular day as clearly as if it had happened yesterday.
The students
who had made mistakes or could not perform well were made to stand in a line.
One by one, they were called forward to receive their punishment.
The line
moved at what seemed to me like a snail's pace.
I stood
there watching each student ahead of me.
With every
passing minute, my fear increased.
I probably
had enough time to imagine every possible kind of pain that the stick could
cause. By the time about ten minutes had passed, my turn finally came.
I walked
forward reluctantly.
The teacher
looked at me.
I knew what
was coming.
I stretched
out my hand.
That small
gesture—holding out my hand to receive the stick—is something I have never
forgotten.
But
something unexpected happened.
Before the
stick could even touch my hand, I began to weep.
I was not
merely crying; I was frightened. The fear had become so intense that the
punishment had already happened in my imagination before it happened in
reality.
The teacher
looked at me.
And then,
surprisingly, he began to laugh.
Perhaps my
frightened face amused him. Perhaps he realised that I was genuinely terrified.
Then he said
something I could never have expected:
"I will
spare you if you sing a song for me."
What could I
do?
I was
standing there trembling and crying, but I knew there was only one way out.
So I sang.
I sang for
my Maths teacher while tears were still running down my face and my voice
trembled with fear.
It must have
been quite a strange performance—a little boy standing before a strict Maths
teacher, crying and singing at the same time.
But that is
one of the memories from my childhood that has remained with me.
Today, when
I recall that incident, I smile.
The same boy
who could not concentrate on a Maths lesson had somehow managed to escape
punishment by singing a song.
Perhaps
there was a message hidden in that little incident.
As children,
we do not always know what our strengths are. Sometimes we struggle in one area
because our minds are naturally drawn towards another. A child who appears
inattentive, weak or ordinary may simply be waiting for someone to discover the
right door through which his abilities can emerge.
In my case,
that door was music.
My early
school life was therefore a curious mixture of fear, fun, imagination and
music. I was not yet the serious student I would later become. I did not
understand the value of education in those early years. I had no grand ambition
and no clear idea of what I wanted to become.
I was simply
a village boy growing up in a family with its own history, spending his days
between school, home, the vast family garden and the world of his imagination.
Then came
Standard Six.
Something
began to change.
I cannot say
that there was one dramatic moment when I suddenly became a serious student. It
was more gradual than that. Perhaps growing older changed my outlook. Perhaps
new teachers and new subjects made a difference. Perhaps the experiences of the
earlier years had slowly prepared me for what was to come.
Whatever the
reason, the boy who once wandered in imagination while the teacher taught
gradually began to understand that school could offer something more than
lessons, examinations and punishment.
It could
open doors.
And perhaps
the first person who opened one of those doors for me was not a Maths teacher,
but a young, affectionate teacher who simply asked a very ordinary question:
"Who
wants to participate in singing?"
I raised my
hand.
I had no
idea then that such a small gesture would become one of the memorable moments
of my childhood.

No comments:
Post a Comment